Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Sound Of Bipolar Junction Transistors

On 15/10/2017 08:40, Don Pearce wrote:
On 14 Oct 2017 23:47:58 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

The minimal op-amp is at least four transistors, maybe five if you want
decent output current drive. Two for the differential input, one for the
intermediate gain stage, then one (or two if you want to make it push-pull)
for the output stage. Add a couple constant current sources, a compensated
reference on the output pair, and the number of components climbs pretty fast.
--scott

Unless you use an integrated op amp. 5532 is probably my favourite
do-everything op amp. The count becomes one op amp and two resistors.

I think that Scott is making the point that inside the black box of the
op amp IC, there are many, many active components, all of which have a
potential effect on noise and linearity.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.