Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Gary's Hum - the wave file

"Luxey" wrote in message

On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 00:29:21 UTC+2, Mike Rivers wrote:
In addition, or in parallel, it is possible that the Bass Players amp
input socket is damaged, so that removing the jack plug no longer causes
the input socket to short and mute the input

How many amplifiers do that? It sounds like a good idea but I didn't
know it was a common implementation.

Guess his idea is - the air gap, one you get when the cable is unplugged,
between two input jack prongs will stop the current from flowing around.
Hope you found it funny, the explanation above.

Gary's amp sound as if the cable was unplugged from the instrument,
not from the amp. Gareth knows that's stupid thing to do, so he does not
even
take it to consideration, he does not know whom he's dealing with, so he
proposes there's something wrong with the input jack, which is not overly
valid
in itself, but is as good as any wild guess out there.

The majority of guitar amplifiers have a switching input jack socket that
grounds the input when a jack plug is not connected.
When this ground connection fails due to damage to the jack socket, the amps
can and do make a lot of noise with nothing plugged in, particularly if it
is a guitar amp on a distortion channel.

I fix these things a lot, I know that this is in fact a common problem, and
I know how loud the symptoms can be.
This is not a wild guess.

And yes, anyone who unplugs a guitar lead from the guitar, and not the amp,
and wonders why it is making a load of noise, must be totally clueless.

Gareth.