Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Doug McDonald[_8_] Doug McDonald[_8_] is offline

Default Bit rate of youtube videos

On 5/7/2013 8:29 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:
Far as I know, there is no standard. it is MP3 layer audio, though, I'm
reasonably sure of that,

Youtube is not using MP3.
It is not using what is sent to them. Everything is transcoded.

The quality is abysmal. I have uploaded and compared the downloaded
version (ripped from analog of course.) It equivalent to stereo
MP3 at maybe in the best case 96 kbps but often much worse.

MP3 can, of course be actual high fidelity, much better than 1964
grade analog tape, at 320 kbps, despite what some people say ...
but this isn't.

Doug McDonald