Patrick Turner

WakyAmps wrote:

Rich Koerner wrote in
:

The 6550WE is NO GE-6550A. It's not even close!!!!!!!!

Sonically, or electrically.

Not even close Rich? Got sounds samples or RTA traces to back
that one up?

Mind you, you have my utmost respect, but I think you're being a
bit of a zealot here. Ferinstance, when I push the (also very
expensive) 7581As for old Fender 6L6 setups, they're different
and you can tell, but it'd be a helluva stretch to say "not even
close".

Fer me anyway, sonically and _electrically_ not even close for a
6550 (but still keeping among power tubes) would be an EL84.
Maybe an EL34?

Doesn't the way the tubes are set up affect the sound?
EL84 in a Vox AC30 sound sweet as, and smooth tubey over drive,
because its real class A.
In some other amp with higher B+, and lower idle current
for near class B, they ain't so good.

I some how think it ain't what you got that is everything,
but the way you use it!

Patrick Turner.