RonSonic

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:50:00 GMT, Lord Valve wrote:

J. Vincent Collins wrote:

Put some real tubes in that prick,, Don't listen to the Turd Mongers,, the
only tube for that amp is the GE 6550A,, Jim McShane has a fine stash.

In ADVANCE

**** THE POLISHED TURD
Yup,, that's you FAT WILLIE

VIN COLLINS

I also have a fine stash of NOS GE 6550A. Excellent tube.

Sometimes, however, folks are short on cash and can't
spring for NOS. The Sovtek 6550WE is a good choice;
in fact, there are people who prefer the tone of the Sovtek
over the GE. (Horrors!) One of those people is Tod Smallie,
bassist for the DTB (and the Yonrico Scott Band, which just
released their first CD) who is now going on three years
of 200+ dates per year with the same set of Sovtek 6550WE
I installed when I rebuilt/tweaked his 1973 SVT head (and sold
it to him).

It's all a matter of taste. Mine, in fact, runs to the Tung-Sol;
as far as I'm concerned, in my bi-amped 122 Leslies there
is Tung-Sol and then there's everything else. No tellin'
what folks might like.

I am amazed at how old those amps get before I see them needing tubes. Those
ancient Tung-Sol kick ass. I haven't seen NOS on them, is there any supply these
days?

Ron