Posted to comp.compression,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

Default The future of audio compression?

In rec.audio.tech Ben Bradley wrote:
in comp.compression,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro, On Fri, 13 Mar 2009
02:56:49 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

geoff wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Industrial One wrote:

What do you guys think? Will there be a successor to the current
state- of-the-art AAC codec, or do people not give a damn about
compression no more since FLACs and high-bitrate MP3s nowadays
download in less than a minute even in ****ty 3rd world countries?

There's a recent story on Slashdut. A professor has done tests of
college students with MP3 of various bitrates vs. uncompressed audio,
and most students nowadays PREFER the 128k MP3 sound:

Young People Prefer "Sizzle Sounds" of MP3 Format

I wouldn't take that test too seriously.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...opic=70272&hl=

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine