unitron

Default Bi-wiring - Hogwash?

"Bob Saccamano" wrote in message ...
I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

If you run bi-wiring in your situation you will be bypassing the
crossover circuitry in your speaker cabinet, thus asking the
individual drivers (woofer and tweeter) to try to reproduce
frequencies for which they were not designed. Even if this causes no
physical damage it can only make the sound worse, otherwise the
speaker manufacturer wouldn't have gone to the extra expense of
including a crossover in the first place. Bi-amping assumes that
you'll be using an "active" crossover to divide up the signal into low
and high frequencies ahead of amplification and then giving each
frequency band its own amp and driver. It also assumes that you
already have the knowledge and experience to select and setup the
proper equipment necessary to do so. You aren't there yet or you'd
already know the answer to your question, which, of course, already
knowing the answer to, you wouldn't have asked in the first place :-)
Of course if you're planning on running these speakers in a large room
(auditorium, sanctuary, nightclub, etc. AND you have more money to
throw at the problem, you might want to consider going with an active
crossover and another (stereo) amp, but consult a good sound
contractor before you rush out and spend.