Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Introducing a New Horse to the Stable

On 12/09/2019 2:45 AM, Peter Wieck wrote:
OK... getting down to basics:

Electrolytic capacitors are essentially chemical engines. The materials developed over the last 20 years have greatly improved along with longevity and reliability, but they remain chemical engines. A single very large capacitor will, therefore, necessarily be slower than multiple smaller capacitors in parallel, all other things being equal. The limiting factor being real-estate in most cases.

Generally, I try to run multiple caps in parallel where real-estate permits, with a small-value, high-voltage film cap across each as a snubber. This is a preference, not a requirement.

For something as brute-force as a power-supply for audio purposes, the difference(s) will be manifest only at or near clipping, or when the amps are fed signal with extreme Peak-to-Average content. A cap bank will be able to deliver a *marginally* faster transient than a single very large cap. NOTE: If you are going to have the capacity (pun intended) to overdrive your output devices for these transients, you might need to install some sort of speaker protection. Solid-state devices often do not clip nicely.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Thank you Peter.

I already have speaker protection ready to install. I bought two of these
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1350315871.html Probably not the best option but I don't know how
to make such things myself.
--
Shaun.