Scott Dorsey

Default Why r u running from Reel?

news.verizon.net wrote:
I was wondering what is the main reason why quite a few studios are giving
up on their 1" or 2" reel machine and going over to digital?

Could the main reason be as follows:

They are not making any money anymore, and those tapes & machines-heads are
too expensive to buy and maintain respectively???

Of course. Clients don't want to pay the tape costs, mainly. On top of
this, clients don't want to pay for the time for hand-editing and actually
performing things right, when with the digital systems they can just it
mostly right and fix it on the workstation.

Yet I have seen a number of studios that only have dummy-computers on thier
desk; just to say that they have computers, but they are NOT using them.
Perhaps the only thing install on them is windows 95 & Mac 9.0. lol

They probably have a different client base. I have a computer here too,
which I use for keeping track sheets and logs and reading Usenet while
waiting for these safety dubs to finish. But I'm also in a very small
market since I'm mostly doing live to 2-track anyway.