Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default ok, what about a monitor speaker (or two)... UPDATE

The Behringer unit arrived today along with the proper balanced 1/4" TRS
cables. The unit installed easily under Win 7 and it is so far
performing excellently. It was a B&H return, so got it for roughly half
price.

I decided to switch out laptop power supplies once the speakers had been
rerouted with the new 1/4" cables. The other laptop supply didn't have
the ground loop circuit in place like I posted earlier in the week. The
result: no noise! I read about noise plaguing people all the time and
then you find out they are trying to use unbalanced RCA or other cables.
While the circuit I posted will do wonders, it appears that a balanced
cable will too!

That was a scare to me that was posted about the speaker fuse issue, but
I really like how they are performing. I can especially hear all the
missing bass and treble when trying to mix in the car or on the
headphones. I'm going to keep the speakers.

JBI

On 02/28/2018 05:26 AM, geoff wrote:
On 28/02/2018 4:57 PM, JBI wrote:
While I'm waiting around for the 2nd speaker and the Behringer, I am
having issues with the laptop 1/8" audio out and into the Eris
speaker. Basically, much buzz and hum.Â* I am going to assume that once
the balanced cable arrives and I can use it with the Behringer, that
will be solved as I suspect this is ground loop trouble.Â* It's only
happening with the laptop and speaker and not the desktop using the
Audiophile 2496 output to speaker.Â* I had the same issue with the
laptop in the car a while back when the laptop was powered via a 12V
to 120V inverter. I've been tempted to get an audio ground loop
isolator, but I'm concerned about that affecting audio frequency
response.Â* Another option is to build a diode/ resistor circuit in
series with the 120 VAC ground. Â*Â*I may do that and plug the laptop
into that circuit to see if that negates the noise in the speaker.
Thoughts?

Sometimes noise from the (SMPS) laptop power supply infects the audio
circuits.Â* I've even had it USB-power-borne on an interface (USB Transit
USB).Â* But it was the laptop PSU, not the Transit at fault - fine on
batteries.

geoff