Nousaine

Default Subwoofers, the specs don't matter!

Carl wrote:

.....snips.....

A room with very pronounced 20 Hz resonances due to room dimensions really
would benefit from a smaller sub, one with a cut off at 40 Hz and 4th order
high pass response there, allowing the user to hear ALL of the bass, from
the satellite speakers on down, not just the room resonances. But in this
SUV world, no one really wants to hear that. More more more, that's what
we want, to reach perfection via the credit card instead of self
exploration, or self knowledge. When we can purchase another 0.01% lower
distortion figure. then we know we are on the path of virtue and truth.
Bleah.

A room with pronounced 20 Hz "resonances" would have to have at least one
dimension on the order of 28 feet for a 1st mode excitation. Hallway or a very
large room? Either way a larger subwoofer would be more likely to provide
satisfactory performance.