Pooh Bear

"C.J.Patten" wrote:

Howdy. Looking at MiniDisc and flash based recorders.

Do all MD recorders have mic-preamps on their audio inputs?

Usually a mic in and a 'line' in.

I realize some units don't have *any* kind of audio inputs so I'm limiting
this question to portable units that have inputs.

Any concerns I should have about the quality of different MD recorders for
mic recording? (specifically thinking of the analog section - I understand
the data is stored in the same format)

MD recorders are consumer items that aren't optimised to professional standards
like 'proper' recording gear of old.

The mic amp will be noisy compared to a pro spec and probably has pretty poor
distortion figures too. Note the other posts regarding bypassing the automatic
gain control too.

The mini-jack connection is an inherently unreliable design, being especially
prone to crackling if the connector is moved. It's also not designed to work
with balanced mics.

Graham