Hi Jeremy,

sometimes in life we have to "let go" of things. without getting in
your business too much, i believe you have an unhealthy attachment to
out-dated beginner soundset/soundcard stuff.... just let it go... be
free! :-)

take a look at the m-audio audiophile 24-96. $99 at
musiciansfriend.com it is a great all around card to beat on and do
audio and midi. it does Direct-X and VST and Gigasampler confidently.

"general midi" "soundfont" "Yamaha XG"... I'd let go of any attachment
to this stuff. a physician sometimes has to cut to heal. let it go
man, let it go...

just get your Sonar thang going, and then add some features to that
nucleus as your time, energies and interests allow.