Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Vinyl to CD on a PC

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
message
om
Rob wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:20:56 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"

Hi,

My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no
sound card and

Any ordinary sound card will do.

Modern sound cards - those in products developed in the past 3 years or so,
will do. A 10 year old on-board audio interface on a motherboard is usually
pretty grim. For example, the Via "Vinyl" Audio interfaces, and the current
Realtek audio interfaces, typically have better technical performance than
the vinyl format is capable of by about 10 dB.

The card will come
with software or you can download freeware to record,
such as Goldwave

Goldwave is not freeware.

My bad.

But Audacity is open-source freeware, and works well enough for transcribing
LPs on a budget.

Disclaimer: While I have used Audacity to test its suitabilty for the
various purposes that I recommend it for, I do almost all of my serious work
with Cool Edit Pro or its later versions, called Audition.