Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

Default Vinyl to CD on a PC

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote ...
J.W.T.Smith wrote:
My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card and
I want to buy one. I also want to transfer some of my favourite vinyl
to CD. Can I do this with a basic soundcard + software or would I do
better to buy a more advanced soundcard maybe with its associated
software?

Thanks for any info.

John Smith.

Any ordinary sound card will do. The card will come with software or
you can download freeware to record, such as Goldwave or Audiograbber.

Your machine could already have a sound card, or one could be built
into the main board, just disabled via a jumper and/or in the machine
BIOS.

Most machines of this vintage would have come with some sort of sound
card, unless you built it yourself or pulled the old card for some
reason.

Yes, everything that Mr. Zacharias said. But remember
that you cannot plug a turntable directly into any sound
card. You need a phono (aka "RIAA" or "gramophone")
preamp of some kind. You can buy a small, standalone
box, or you could use the preamp built into your receiver
(use the "Tape Out") to plug into the line-in of the PC's
soundcard, etc.