Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

Default solid state vs tubes?

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 03:24:47 -0500, (Barry Mann) wrote:

In one situation I received numerous complaints that the system would
not play "loud" enough. When I visited the site, everyone was hoarse
from trying to talk over the sound, and the customer's comment was,
"see, that's all the louder it gets." (It was clean sounding and I
never imagined he could get that kind of level without blowing
something up.)

Many years ago I gigged with a singer who owned the worst PA system
I've ever heard. I started bringing mine instead. Not a fantastic
system, but probably distortion percentage in single figures :-)

It took him a few gigs to admit I was turning his vocal mic on at all.