Mike Rivers

Default AES Show Report

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Has showing synths fallen out of favour at AES?

The only one I paid any attention to was the NEKO Production Station
from Open Labs, which was sort of a DAW and a synth crossed together.

They keep adding more CPU power to it, but the basic product is old
news (introduced at NAMM in 2004). Similarly with MUSE, if that's the
same MUSE I'm thinking of - a hardware box that runs plug-ins.

There are always things that come to mind after I finish the report
that I didn't bring home literature about. I guess I need one of those
pocket-sized recorders after all. I lose notes that I write on paper
because usually all I have is the back side of press releases to write
on, and I see the press release side first and throw the paper away.

Worth noting that I didn't include is Speck's new X-Sum line level
mixer, something that everyone seems to want. It's more than a place to
plug in all your keyboards, it has 16 stereo inputs with level and pan,
and each pair can be assigned to either the main output or a Mix-B
output. Either output can be monitored via the built-in headphone
ampllifier, and multiple units can be stacked for more inputs:
http://www.speck.com/XSum/XSum.shtml

Another is NHT's newest integration of the DEQX DSP system with a power
amplifier. The DEQX serves as the crossover and corrects the speaker in
the frequency and time domain, making for frequency response out of the
speaker flat +/- 0.5 dB over its working range of 55 Hz to 20 kHz. It's
not a room correction system, so you still need to take care of that
part. What reminded me that NHT had something worth mentioning is the
button they were handing out, another thing worth mentioning. The
graphic is a cat surrounded by the numbers 1 through 9, representing 9
lives. 1-4 are marked out, signifying that the company is on its fifth
"life" with a fifth owner. http://www.nhtpro.com/mastering.html#

I'm sure there are other interesting things that I forgot. I'll add to
this thread as they come to me. The rest of you can, too.