TJ Hertz

Default More on hard disk drives

Quick question - is Firewire (400 or 800) a fast enough interface that it
would not cause any bottlenecks when used with a fast hard drive?

ie, would my Lacie Big Disk Ultra FW be suitable for use with audio
applications? I routinely mix with 25-35 audio tracks at the same time
(let's not get into that!) but am not bothered about 192kHz or anything
ridiculous, usually just 16/44.1 (though Cubase likes to use 32-bit float,
does it not?). At the moment I'm just using the Lacie as a backup drive, but
I'll switch to using it on projects if it will yield faster performance than
a Western Digital IDE drive.

Thanks

TJ