Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

Default Old Mackie CR 1604 vlz .... ribbon cable problems?

On 11/3/2018 5:39 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/2/2018 11:16 PM, Ron C wrote:
Seems that board suffers from that ribbon cable oxidation
problem that I seem to recall was common to them.

Mackie did have a ribbon cable problem at one time and they were sending
out replacement cables, but I don't believe the problem was with the
smaller mixers, only on the larger SR series and the d8b digital
console. Still, connectors can get cruddy with age and non-use, but they
usually respond to a shot of contact cleaner and a little exercise
(disconnect and re-connect the connection a few times). Don't forget
that ribbon cables have connectors on both ends. One end is usually easy
to get to, the other end sometimes is buried.

Can I still get replacement ribbon cables for that board?

Not from Mackie, but the connectors and cable are standard parts, so it
would be possible to have new ones made if you really wanted to rescue
the console. But ribbon cables aren't the only thing that can go wrong.

Has Mackie solved the ribbon cable problem in the new board?

The Mackie of today is very different from the Mackie that built your
1604 VLZ. The new mixers are completely made in China, so if there's a
chronic problem (and I haven't heard of one, but then I don't keep close
tabs on them) it's surely not the same problem that they had 20 years ago.

I picked up a ProFX8v2 .. wow, this thing is a toy at best. When you said:
"the Mackie of today is very different from the Mackie that built your
1604 VLZ" I had no idea they had slipped this much.
Seems all of their "Pro" series is junk but they have a " ...VLZ4" series
that may not be junk.
I may skip Mackie and go with a Soundcraft LX7ii 16 as a replacement
for my old CR 1604.
--
==
Later...