Dick Pierce

Default Why DBTs in audio do not deliver

(ludovic mirabel) wrote in message news:n7IKa.24750$Bg.13287@rwcrnsc54...
(Dick Pierce) wrote in message news:KalKa.16012$R73.2926@sccrnsc04...
Well, the answer is VERY simple: DBT does not deliver what
people like Ludovic want. It does not support THEIR agenda,
it does not validate THEIR preferences, indeed, it does not
elevate their preferences to the level of universal fact.
Science certainly works hard to give you answers, it just
doesn't give a sh*t whether you like the answer or not.

What delicate feelings! what restraint! Only 3 letters out of 4.
THAT'S why DBT doesn't work: because it does.

Here comes the heavy artillery:
"SCIENCE' gives the answers. Mr. Pierce knows them. And I'm supposed
not to like them.
Exactly which answers to what?
CDs are "better" than lps.?
Transistors are "better" than tubes.?
Yamaha transistor amp. is "better" than VTL.?

Mr. Ludovic shows us here that he is in the "enviable" position
of not being constrained by facts or information. No, unlike the
rest of us in this universe, he gets to make his "facts" up. Indeed,
he gets to make "facts" up about other people as well. We see here
a classic existance proof of this.

HIS claim, which he makes VERY evident above, is that I "know"
that "CD's are better than LPs."

That's very curious, because I have never said that.

His claim is that I "know" that "transistors are better than
tubes.

That's very curious, because I have never said that.

His claim is that I "know" that "Yamaha transistor amp. is
better than VT: [sic]."

That's very curious, because I have never said that.

From whence does Mr. Ludovic achieve the ability, the privilege
and, indeed, the mandate to simply make stuff up and claim I or
anyone else "knows?"

There are several possibilities:

1. Ludovic occupies a unique and privilieged place in the world,
where he is privvy to information that NO ON ELSE knows about.

2. Ludovic simply made this stuff up.

In either case, it would seem that Mr. Ludovic has exempted himself
from the normal conventions of connecting claims about what others
think and know to what they actually think and know.

I shan't suggest this is anti-scientific or anything high-falutin'
like that.

I'd posit, instead, that Ludovic simply engages in a continuous
stream of misrepresentation. Why?

1. It's inadvertant. He doesn't no better. Poor Ludovic. Poor us
for having to slog through his irrelevant misrepresentations.

2. It's deliberate. He has no sound foundation for whatever the
hell it is he's arguing about and simply to keep his side of
the conversation going, he just makes stuff up because he has
absolutely nothing to contrinute of any relevance or substance.

The evidence, especially in the form of the quoted text above,
would seem to have one lean in the direction of deliberate and
malicious misrepresentation.

Frankly, I don't care. He has been one of the most voluminous
posters to rec.audio.high-end, and if you subtract the mis-
representations and the irrelevancies and the excess verbiage
and the seemingly unending repeations thereof, he is at the
same time one of the least relevant contributors.

Science, as in the process of advancing knowledge, could care less
about Ludovics' preferences. It has no feeling, has no agenda.

That's why DBT's don't agree with what Ludovic wants. It's not
supposed to. It ain't about picking Yamaha amps over VTL amps,
tubes over transistors, CDs over LPs, Stradivarii over Roland
synthesizers, despite Ludovic's misguided and continuously
unsuccessful attempts to force it into that utterly innapropriate
arena.

If science had feeling, it'd probably be laug

Answers from "measurements"? I let the scientists like yourself (and
eg. Mr. Atkinson of The Stereophile) argue as to exactly whose
"measurements" prove what.I understand enough to glimpse that people
with degrees in electronic engineering differ on those issues. Who am
I to decide whose measurements are "better"?
The sciences I am familiar with rely on experiment.
I know of none that provide "scientific", experimental evidence about
my preferences or yours.
And, dear Mr. Pierce, for lack of anything better I'm happy with mine,
do not ask you or anyone else to share them with me,(in fact I might
not even like it if you did) and certainly, most definitely do not
want or expect "scientific" support for them.
What on earth gave you the idea that I do?
Ludovic Mirabel