Patrick Turner

west wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

John Stewart wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

huge snip

Patrick Turner.

Whats this I see? Patrick T. using Hammond? Or something brought in by a
customer?

The customer of mine was not prepared to pay for my one-off
trannies, and so he supplied Hammonds for me to use
They turned out OK.

Patrick Turner.

I'm back into sales again. Lots of manual labour on the house this

summer as
well. Not much time for tubes.

But if I get time I have a couple of interesting projects in mind. One

is a
hybrid. But don't know when.

Cheers, John

Professor, are you using your custom built speakers or a commercial type
with you SE amp?

The 2A3 amps were a commissioned job for a client who supplied me with tubes and
a set
of Hammond trannies after i told him which ones to get.
I demoed the 2A3 amp to my client using my speakers which are about 88dB/W/M
efficient.
4 watts had a lot of work to do, but we could hear the 2A3 were doing it right,
although not quite as loud as we would like for the speakers on the big
orchestral stuff.
He wanted the 2A3 to drive JBL horn slot tweeters of about 104dB/W/M efficiency.

Why is there so little mention at your web site about your
speakers?

Because they are not my main focus of attention.
IMHO, I think my speakers are second to none; since I have not heard anything
better,
its hard to know how to make improvements.
But trying to sell speakers via the Web has been an utter flop for me.

The prices shown at the website are a bargain, but I can't expect ppl
to agree with that. There are no official magazine reviews which all cost
huge piles of $$$$ that I have not got.
The Audiophile Society of NSW is always very coy about saying how
good/bad ones speakers are in their magazine/website, and you would have had to
have been there
when i demoed my gear.
But all the folks including myself who have demoed gear to such clubs have never
done any good
commercially as a result of driving a truckload of stuff and setting it all up,
and risking damage etc....

If I tried to place my speakers in the local hi-fi shops, they'd
expect 50% commission from the price which would the same as at the website,
which BTW is now
getting quite ancient; 3 years without an update!

Consider a pair of speakers with a price of $4,000 in a hi-fi shop.
I get $2,000 from a sale.
Since such handcrafted speakers take about 4 weeks of work to make and
since the materials cost is about $1,500, then I get only $500 for 4 weeks of
hard slog.
So, damn the shops and their cheap asian junk selling for prices which have no
relation
to the asian labour costs.
95% of speaker sales are determined by a woman who likes small speakers that are

almost invisible.

In 5 years I have had only 2 emails about my speakers.
Its possible to sell an occasional amp via the Web because the people
know tubes make good music, and maybe they realise I have at least some idea
how to go about making an amp.

But I should have started 40 years ago....

Patrick Turner.