Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Eiron Eiron is offline

Default The damping factor and the sound of real music

tony sayer wrote:
Bob.
Unless you must have it louder there wouldn't be any point and as said
the point source will be sodded up....
--
Tony Sayer

It depends what you're doing whether "the point source will be sodded
up". For instance, Bessel is a form of stacking in which the point
source, far from being "sodded up" is enhanced. For another, several
of the stacking schemes for ESL63 and similar (for which it becomes
even less necessary, but I'm just humouring Poopie because it is
Christmas) I explained are for very grand or even public rooms, in
which a tiny loss in potential quality will not be noticed because no
one will sit down to listen for it, and the overwhelming quality of
the stats *will* be noticed. For yet another, it is easy to stack the
ESL63 and derivatives in pairs so that the point source of one
precisely meets the point of origin of the other, which is only
notionally possible, and only at one listening point, for any other
type of speakers (especially multiple cones!), the upshot being that
ESL-63 is probably the most stackable speaker there is...

Yeabut how can you have more than the one -point- source?....

Its physically impossible unless there is another dimension your keeping
from us;?...

Jute knows more about ESL63s than any man alive.
"You can get wonderfully inflated readings from the ESL63 by
measuring dead centre and 12 inches in front of it, where it has a faux
point source. Of course, that would be the same as measuring *behind*
the speaker, for the ESL63 is a dipole which has the faux point source
each side, and the sound at the listening position is from the cone
with its point behind the speaker."
( http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...27f901c4507c3d )

So I guess he is stacking his ESLs one in front of the other, 2 feet apart.
You either like the sound of a comb filter or you don't....

--
Eiron.