Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Compression question

Mike Rivers wrote:

---------------------------

** You have completely misread my words.
** That is the direct OPPOSITE of what happens !!!!

The peaks go unaltered because of the slow response of the detector
while lower levels are *reduced* when gain reduction finally kicks in.

This is a studio technique, not a scientific technique. The peaks are
unaffected by the gain reduction because we let them slip through before
the detector knows what happened. You still have to manage the peak
levels so they only distort as much as you want them to (I hate to have
to say that). But when you squash what's left and then bring up the
level, you increase the apparent loudness.

** Purest Gobbledegook.

Once the signal has been EXPANDED it stays like that.

** The dbx 160 and its near relatives have NO such controls.

The dbx 160 just happens to be "right" as it's built, to achieve a
certain effect.

** The "effect" is called peak expansion.

The settings used are falsely described as "peak limiting" by dbx.

They didn't plan it that way. They planned it as a more
or less normal compressor and it works pretty well like that, but with
certain program material, it lets the attack through and lets you boost
the sustained part of the waveform envelope.

That is just your mad fantasy.

Fast attack is essential to creating "peak limiting".

Agreed, but I didn't think we were talking about peak limiting.

** My post is about so called peak limiter that in fact EXPANDS.

Try reading the thread again.

..... Phil