Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Compression question

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 3:04:52 AM UTC-4, Trevor wrote:
On 15/08/2017 3:11 AM, wrote:
With a compressor, the _more_ signal going into the sidechain input, the
more it compresses. So you can't set it up so it compresses below the
threshold and not above.

but you can do this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_compression

It's strange to see people still using analog style techniques to do
what has been easy in the digital processing domain of a DAW for a
couple of decades. One can simply draw a compression curve that has a
knee at the bottom end rather than the top if that's where you want the
most compression. No need for all the extra stuffing around.

Trevor.

Can you draw a curve on a DAW compressor that gives you the same effect as parallel compression described in the article without actually creating a parallel path.

I never thought about it before ....I suppose you can!

I guess it would need 2 knees with an almost flat portion someplace in the middle.

thanks for the idea