Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message
On Monday, August 5, 2013 4:36:17 PM UTC-7, Robert Peirce wrote:

In my case, my sound system at home was significantly better than the
system in the hall. I used to listen to music on an AM radio, and I
enjoyed it at the time. However, when better sound became available I
enjoyed AM less.

That's more or less what I've been saying. If I want to listen to speakers
Mine are better than any PA speakers. Come to that, and I'd rather listen
to the streaming Boston Symphony on Internet radio from WCRB in Boston
than attend a SR'd concert.

When they start amplifying orchestras and bands, balances get all screwed
up. First, the musicians never learn how to balance themselves for the
audience. The piano, for example, should have the lid open and the sound
coming toward the audience, not shut and stuffed with microphones. The
dynamics should be determined by th musicians, not the sound reinforcement
engineer. As soon as the microphones are introduced, the musicians will
start playing to them instead of to us. I have seen the horn section playing
with the bell of the horn facing the floor, either through lack of
showmanship or because of the damn microphones. Not all musicians even know
how to play to a mike in the first place. They will wander away or get too
close, destroying balances once again, unpredictably.

But of course the main point is we come to hear the sound of the
instruments, not the speakers. Most of the time you will not even hear the
concert in stereo if it is amplified.

I once attended a Tony Bennett concert. In the middle of his performance he
would insist on doing one number sans microphone, and belt one out to the
audience so they could hear what he really sounded like. THAT is
musicianship!

Gary Eickmeier