Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Sunday, August 4, 2013 10:20:56 AM UTC-7, MINe109 wrote:
In article ,

Audio_Empire wrote:

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 6:52:42 AM UTC-7, Robert Peirce wrote:
In article ,
Audio_Empire wrote:

For instance, you can't use pop/rock to test for image
specificity, because being multitrack and multi-miked with all
instruments

I'm told you can hear that on a good system. I don't listen critically
enough to know for sure.

I'd say that you CAN'T hear that because it doesn't exist with pan-potted
positioning of instruments. Of course, if the rock producer specifies an
don't know of any rock recordings that were recorded that way. Does anyone
else know? I would love to find out.

Cowboy Junkies' The Trinity Session was recorded on a single Calrec
Ambisonic Microphone.

Interesting. Although, strictly speaking, Ambisonics is not really Stereo, it will give a fair
stereophonic image when played back two-channel. I have some LPs from Unicorn Records
that were recorded Ambisonically. The only real criticism that I can level at them is that
they are somewhat distantly miked. Do you find that true with the Cowboy Junkies stuff?

You might also google "The Glyn Johns Drum Recording Method".

Will do. Thanks.