Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

Default MS Recording Mics

On 10/2/12 9:57 AM, Frank Stearns wrote:
adam79 writes:

I missed the original thread, but unless I was in a really good room, with
12+ foot ceilings and plenty of space around the drums (and reasonably good iso on
everything else that's in the room), I'd be hesitant to use MS -- or
be at least prepared to throw away the S mic in the mix.

Well that's lame!

Reality; sorry. With drums in a good room, the room tone would likely be great to
have. But with lower ceilings or nearby surfaces you'll get more "smear" than
bigness and depth.

I'm still gonna be renting both 414s, so I'll atleast give the MS setup
a try and see what happens.

Tracking to a dedicated recorder might be a little more reliable and less
distracting. It's the preferred work method here (at least on location). My only
concern would be the preamps in the Korg, and whether pads are available. If not,
for sure use the internal pads on the 414s. (Most of the pro-sumer preamps,
whether in an interface, mixer, or portastudio, have their gain structures set for
low-output dynamics. High output condensors can clip the hell out of the front ends,
even with the trim pot all the way down.)

I'm pretty sure there aren't any pads on the D16. It's a first
generation digital recorder, so it doesn't even have a USB connection.
It also doesn't have phantom power, so I'm gonna have to run the mics
through my Mackie VLZ-PRO mixer, which has the low-cut filter. What type
of pads would you recommend I use? The D16 has 24bit recording, but I
think you can only use up to 6 tracks, so I'll probably have to do the
recording in 16bit.

Thanks,
-Adam