Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default No Interconnect is the Best

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
ti.fi

Being 3 dB down the top frequency extremes is not nearly
as audible as the inherent trashing of the 500 Hz range

in LPs.

Nothing wrong with vinyl midband, and if an ageing
Detroit car factory worker cannot hear the HF tape
losses, then that doesn't matter either:-)

Who are you talking to Iain, some imaginary person?

Only in your dreams, Iain. Sorry that open reel tape was
such a POS in your neck of the woods.

European machines were actually good.
We had Studer, Ferrograph, Revox,Vortexion, Telefunken,
Lyrec, with fewer imports from Japan than you seem to
have had in the USA. The ex BBC Leevers Rich E200
in my music room is 20Hz to 18kHz +0/-1dB.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/iain.churches...LR/LRE200.html

No FR curves there, so we know that you are lying, Iain.

Perhaps you have never had access to a good vinyl
replay system.

Perhaps you are very full of yourself, Iain. If there
was any doubt about my access to good vinyl replay
systems, consider the two days I spent auditioning vinyl
and tubes at HE2005.

But you don't own a quality system for every day use?

Quality vinyl system is an oxymoron, Iain.

Listening at audio fairs like HE2005 is almost worthless,
unless the equipment is set up in proper listening rooms,
acoustically isolated from each other. You need to listen
for several hours over many days.

You have made it clear what a penny
pincher you are, and so probably don't know what a
Garrard 401, SME 3012 and Shure V15/III
(or equivalent) can do.

I always thought that the Garrard 401 was beneath the
interest of a Thorens

Thorens were much cheaper.

Really?

Garrard 301 and 401 were the BBC/EBU and
record company turntable of choice, together
with EMT and Telefunken.

Not in the US. Oh there were some about, but not exclusively.

Try to buy any of these
today, You will find yourself spending some very
serious money, particularly following the demise
of the USD.

Demise means death. The dollar is hardly dead. Learn your English word
definitions, Iain.

You were foolish to part with them.

Cashing them out bought lots of CDs.

good turntable
in addition to a vintage amp, is one of the few pieces
of equipment that goes up in value, and so offers both
enjoyment and investment value.

Audio gear is among the poorer antiques to invest in. I prefer stocks.

With the exception
of the Studer, no-one wants an old CD player:-)

Why should they? This is about today, Iain just to mention a land that you
have yet to enter...

Now you are left with no option to compressed, poorly
mastered CDs or a Rega:-)

As if poorly-mastered CDs are the only kinds of CDs. Perhaps they are all
you ever heard at Decca.

Spend some time with an
EMT, SME 30/2 or Verdier turntable, and
Shure V15, EMT or Ortofon MC cartridge.

Been there, done that. All of the above, I think. And
more.

The chances that you have ever seen let alone heard an
SME 30/2 orVerdier turntable are slim to none:-)

So what?

And I also have a few new 180 gram vinyl pressings.

And you still think that current CD production is
superior?

Absolutely.