Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default audio culture nonsense?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

Have you ever owned high-powered monoblocks?

Interesting how a discussion of sound quality gets morphed into a
discussion
of property rights.

Have you ever even heard a high-end system with them in a
favorable environment, using other equipment you respect?

Interesting how the discussion of property rights morphs into a discussion
of admission to a demonstration.

For the record, Steven and I walked around HE2005 together for a while,
and
if that wouldn't be an opportunity to hear high end systems in favorable
environments, what would be? (For the record - the quality of the demo
rooms as acoustic venues varied, but some were quite good).

Well, I own a five channel system using high-power
monoblocks, and I could describe the changes I heard
versus my other sterep SS amps and VTL amps very much the
same way...

I have no problems with pride of ownership, as long as I don't have to
suspend too much disbelief while reading exhibitions of it.

I would probably describe the changes as
being a bit more subtle...but many revieweres nowadays
do.

With reviewers writing about "dancable cables" why would they be cited as
source of reliable information?

And I might not attribute them totally to this
equipment, but to the equipment as a representative and
high-quality example of the breed (one of my favorite
gripes against reviews these days is that folks are given
equipment to review without the requisite previous
experience to separate out the unit under test from the
generic category).

Harry, what technical advantage might monoblocks have that cannot ever or
has not ever be duplicated with multichannel amplifiers?

May I suggest that once again you are taking a stand
simply assuming you know the truth.

Steven has more chops as an audiophile than that.

When you have no first-hand basis for doing so.

Come on Harry, I saw you at HE2005. You mean you never passed Steven in
the
hallways there?

Might I suggest Arny that there is a big difference in making a change in a
system you are totally grounded in, and noting the differnce, than floating
down a show venue hallway. For what it is worth, I have never, ever found a
listening experience in a show environment that I would trust. Before I
ever acted after receiving a show impression I would do much more listening
in a much more controlled environment.

When I asked if Steven had even heard a system, I stressed "using other
equipment you respect" because that is the bare minimum required. I wasn't
thinking of shows or audio dealers....I was thinking of perhaps a friend or
fellow audiophile who shared Steven's biases towards equipment, but used
high-powered monoblocks. And best of all, with which Steven might have
experienced "before" and "after" auditions.

Essentially, Steven and you have simply confirmed that your don't even
understand the context for making the evaluataion, much less spouting off
against it.