Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Do all amplifiers sound the same?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 10:22:58 -0800, Randy Yates wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova writes:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 19:39:17 -0800, Randy Yates wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova writes:
[...]
I also don't believe that double-blind or ABX testing is of much use in
comparing electronics.

I don't belive a stop watch is of much use in comparing sports cars.

You are right. It isn't of much use in comparing sports cars. However, as
one
of a number of tools used in the process (some of which, like seating
position, steering feedback, turn-in, understeer and oversteer, are either
totally or largely subjective), can tell you all you need to know about
various sports cars. But the stop watch by itself? Almost useless.

You missed my point.

You didn't state it very well.

Stating (or at least implying) that ABX listening tests are not of much
use in comparing the sound of equipment is like stating that a stop
watch is not of much use in comparing the 0-60 MPH ET of sports cars. In
both cases, the tests give objective measurements instead of relaying on
subjective judgements.

The number of turns a wheel makes in a mile at a given speed is an objective
measurement, yet it really tells one nothing qualitative about the car. I've
never seen an ABX or a double-blind listening test that I thought was set up
in any way to find anything other than that the results are ambiguous.