Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default audio culture nonsense?

c. leeds wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

...'nonsense' would include neary every 'review' ever published
in the audio press, ...even soul-changing
differences between amplifiers and disc players.

I answered:

"Soul-changing" differences????? Examples, please!

Sullivan responds:

Would you prefer 'danceable' cables?

No. You mentioned "soul changing differences between amplifiers and disc
players " cited by the audio press, and I asked for an examples. Now,
you change the subject to cables. It is beginning to look like you are
simply making this up as you go along.

How do 'danceable' cables not qualify? IT's a rather famous recent
instance of audiophile overstatements and it's wholly of a piece with wild
claims about CD players and amps -- and it was challenged by James Randi
himself. Surely you hears about it? Look up 'Pear Anjou' and 'Randi' on
The Google.

I also asked Sullivan:

- what is the
"interweb?"

he answers:

It's a joke.

Oh. I don't get it.

No kidding.

Is this whole argument of your's a joke, too?

It appearsz to be becoming more and more about either your real ignorance
of audiophile 'culture' and claims, or about the sophistry you favor in
arguments.

So, it's *your* ignorance of audiophile claims, not mine, that we're dealing with

Correct. You referenced fuzzy "audiophile claims" and I told you I don't
know what you're talking about. When questioned about alleged
"soul-changing differences between amplifiers and disc players," you
change the subject to cables. So I still don't know what you're talking
about.

So, let's get this this straight , you're claiming that the audiophile
press *doesn't* ever make claims of large, obvious difference between
different amps, and different CD players?

wonders and come with our 100% Money Back Guarantee... $159.99

And Sullivan says:
That's laughable NONSENSE, sir.

Perhaps. Surely, the claim is dubious, but I've never evaluated the
product. Have you? There's a money-back guarantee, so there's no risk on
your part.

I haven't evaluated perpetual motion machines either.

'Group' -- can *you* think of what claims I might be talking about when I refer to
'audiophile nonsense'?

You're making the assertions, Sullivan... and now asking the group for
evidence? I get it, this is all just silly jive on your part.

No, Curtis, you're the one shucking and jiving and playing the innocent
pedant here, as anyone who has any acquaintance with either your tactics,
or with the audiophile press, knows.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason