Posted to rec.audio.high-end
c. leeds c. leeds is offline

Default Do all amplifiers sound the same?

I wrote:

In my opinion, it's silly to buy audio equipment without
auditioning it first.

Sullivan answers:

In my opinion, it's silly to act as if one's 'ears' are always right...
when one is rarely using just one's ears.

I simply stated a preference: I prefer to listen to audio equipment
before buying. That is different than acting "as if one's 'ears' are
always right." Do you see the difference?

First you mention *your* preference -- which is demonstrably error-prone,
based on the 'simple fact' you acknowledge to be true

I made no such acknowledgment. Listening to audio equipment before
purchase is not "error-prone." It is simply listening - there is no
right or wrong. It's a preference to listen before you buy. A preference
doesn't require substantiation - it's a preference.

But as I'e explained, -- and you've glossed over -- buying without
trying is NOT always reasonable.

But here's what you wrote:

So I keep up on gear
evolution, decide what features I want, then I choose gear that has them,
based on manufacturer's information, and reviews, and published bench
tests. Appearance and price can also be factors in my final choice.

So it appears that you won't try before buying even when it's an option.
In my view, that's silly. But you're entitled to your preference, just
as some people will buy a new car without driving it first, or buy
clothes without trying them on.