Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Low End Room Issues

On Mar 18, 2:08 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

I'm as critical as anybody of the idea of equalizing out the
nulls and peaks that are always there below 200 Hz. My point is that in
certain applications, broadband equalization which is what this roll-off is,
can make some sense. It still might not be the best solution, but it might
be the most practical solution.

My thought was not to try to equalize the low end to flatten it out,
it was to just whack it off so that it wouldn't distract him from
making a good mix EXCEPT for the low end. It would be like using
speakers that don't reproduce anything below, say, 100 Hz, but are
nice and smooth otherwise. He wouldn't know what was going on down
there, but chances are there's something useful but it needs to be
thinned out. That can be done by someone who can hear what it sounds
like, assuming that the mastering engineer has good taste and is told
that this is to be part of his mastering job..