Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ian Bell Ian Bell is offline

Default Revox A77 Capstan Servo

wrote:
To the originalm poster: check the obvious and easy
things first. Oftentime, the problem is no more serious
than the tacho pickup head having moved away from
outer rotor of the capstan motor. This is easy to check
fix. With the back off, look around the periphery of the
capstan motor. You'll see what appears to be a gear
cut in it. Now look for what looks a little like a tape head,
this is the tacho pickup. There should be about 0.003"
clearence between it and the rotor.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. Are you sure 0.003" is correct? My
service manual says 0.012 - 0.016"

Cheers

Ian