Andrew M.

Default Amek Hendrix

Sebastian Becher wrote:

"Andrew M." wrote in message ...

Indeed James. I am just passing along my experience. At that studio they
also had a Neve VR that required similar recapping, very often.Some very
expensive techs worked on that board. They all said that the Neve
modules run very hot and dry out the caps. In my experience all large
format consoles have maintenance issues. How often would you consider
"regular" for recapping Neve's, SSL's etc.?

And do you know a way to say if the board needs recapping?
Since I dond't know the sound of a "new" Hendrix, I can't tell if the
caps are to be replaced in the used board, can I?

The techs pointed out that the noise floor increases as the caps age.
That was our litmus test, if the board got noisy time to get it recapped
(and the noise would modulate in a weird way, not just fuzz, very
noticeable). I am sure there are more scientific ways to do this. I
would let the person who is checking under the hood of the Mozart for
you know that this is a potential problem. I would also contact Amek.
They will be able to help you find problems, and they may be willing to
hook you up on fixing it. Their service dept has been great to me in the
past. Very helpful people. The boards sound great, lots of headroom and
very punchy.