Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Simon[_2_] Bob Simon[_2_] is offline

Default Newbie Qs on Monitoring Overdubs and Choice of Audio Interface

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 8:55:11 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Get a small cheap mixer for monitoring, so you don't have to monitor through
the computer. Some interfaces have such a thing built in, but there is no
reason not to just get a Mackie 1202 or something to have for the job,
because someday you'll want it for something else anyway.

If you are monitoring yourself directly, with only the backing tracks
coming from the computer, then you don't care about the latency through
the computer at all.

If you're using the preamps in the mixer for your record feed you care about
having a decent mixer, but if you're just using the mixer for monitoring it
can be absolute crap and you'll be fine with it.

Scott,
Thanks! I have something similar already, a PV8. I've used this with headphones for monitoring at band practices when I couldn't get the mix I wanted from the group's board. Plus, it provided hearing protection when the guitar player got too loud.