Simon Whiting Simon Whiting is offline
Junior Member

Default QUAD I amplifiers

Hi all,
I don't know much about valve amplifiers, and I hope that your members might be able with some advice.
I've got a couple of QUAD I* amplifiers, but one of the output transformers has been changed** at some point. (It's easy to see because mine haven't got any boxes over the transformers, unlike some pictures I've seen on the web. There's no sign that there were any fitted, and I presume it's because they're earlier models than those pictured - serial numbers 195 and 821.)
However I have got the old (non-working) output transformer. So my question is, would it be worth - or even possible - getting it rewound? In all honesty, I can't really tell any difference in the sound between the two amplifiers. There's a bit of crackling now and again, but I presume that that's just down to the somewhat ancient and brittle wiring and joints. (Not much has been replaced.)
If it is worth rewinding, does anyone know where I could get it done, preferably in the UK? Or would it cost a small fortune?

Simon.

*They don't actually say "QUAD I" on them, just "QUAD", but I think they weren't really called QUAD Is until the IIs came out.

**EDIT: That is, changed for a non-QUAD transformer - different shape.

Last edited by Simon Whiting : February 24th 13 at 07:04 PM