Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Question: Is "128" Totally Irrelevant As A Bitrate?

On Nov 11, 10:58*am, ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Nov 10, 3:20*pm, "Trevor" wrote: "Peter Larsen" wrote in message

. dk...

it is about clarity, bass tightness even, listen for the canvas, the small
details in the room, that said I'll re-iterate that acceptable - defined
as better than compact casette - starts at 192 kbit/s, in that we fully
agree.

Frankly I see no reason for less than 256kbs these days, but I sure as hell
think 128kbs was better than compact cassette at least.

Trevor.

____________________
For me:

The difference from 64 or 80kbps to 128 is very, about a 10 on the
Richter scale of improvement in earthquake terms(!)

From 128 to 192, about *a 5 on the richter scale.

From 192 to 256 or higher: richter scale 1. *(remember I'm essentially
deaf above 14kHz).

From 256 to 320 to CD? *I couldn't distinguish those three for beans!

Let me clarify: I CAN hear the tightening up and increased
dynamics(punch) of the low end on progressively higher bit rates as
well as the smoothness of the mids. It's my personal lack of TOP that
anything over 192kbps is wasted on.
LOL!

-ChrisCoaster