Laurence Payne

So would buying a microphone be a good idea(not certain, but I heard
the shure 57 was good to start with), and hopefully I can then get the
distortion sounding on the recording as it should? - or is it another
general problem with my setup?

We don't know. But you can find out. Record something else into your
system - maybe a simple link from a CD player. Does it sound right?
If so, your system is OK.

Also, when I do record something, I always get my vu (i think its
called, the sound input level meter) db level in the green range
(occasionally it might dip into yellow, but only just). However,
whenever I play it back it is ever so quite. Much much quiter then
any music I may have on my system. Is there something I am doing
wrong? All levels are set to normal in the recording software, i.e.
its mixer is not quitening it (unless it does it by default).

Is this the meter in the M-Audio Control Panel? You don't have to
worry about recording to the maximum possible level, particularly if
you're recording at 24-bit. There's plenty of scope for turning it
up at a later stage. But maybe you can feed the soundcard a bit more
level? Your soundcard is probably the most-recommended model in its
class, and is capable of excellent results. But its input
sensitivity is unusual - it isn't really either +4 or -10 (the two
standard levels). No matter. No serious recordist expects to do
without a level control between source and sound-card. The
Audiophile just brings this need directly to your attention :-)

Also, a little on the pc, p3.0 528 RAM is that good enough to record
to a descent quality (i.e. low latency etc, 41 up to 91k 24bit), or
would 1 gig of RAM be ideal.

Once a basic sufficiency of computer power is exceeded (and yours well
exceeds it) the only factors affecting latency are the soundcard and
its drivers. Your card will easily run at single-figure latency.
You'll push it down to about 5 ms under Windows 9.x, half that under
Windows XP. But don't. If you intend to record plug-in midi
softsynths in real time you'll want to set around 10ms. If you don't
- what harm will 20 or 30ms of latency do you? Set it high, let your
system have an easy ride :-)

24-bit? Yes. If only because it allows you to be sloppy with
recording levels (but always err under, not over) Higher than
44.1KHz? I see little point.