Arny Krueger

Mmm_moo_cows wrote:

Sort of new to home recording. Attempting to record the guitar. Any
help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I have a cornford mk-50h stack (stacked amp), which I use a
THD Hotplate (power attenuator, basically quitens the stack down by
sitting inbetween the amp head and the speaker cabinet).

The THD hotplate has a line out which I used to record. Recording wise
I am using a Midiman M-audiophile 2696 and cakewalk sonar 3 (p1.7 128
RAM - upgrading to a p3.0 528 RAM soon)

Problem is, when I record clean guitar it sounds ok but when I attempt
to record distorted guitar, it just sounds bad and fuzzy (not
malfunction bad, but just low quality almost like it is a real cheap
distortion effect- which its not!). I'm not overloading the soundcard
inputs or anything like that, and there is certainly nothing wrong
with the equipment nor is it cheap/dodgey equipment. I'm guessing its
because of the whole using line out thing.

The M-Audio audiophile 2496 is not a standard audio production audio
interface. It only supports -10 and so-called consumer levels. If you don't
understand this terminology, check the RAP FAQ at
http://www.recaudiopro.net/ .

There is some chance that a source with standard +4 levels, will overload
the inputs of an AP2496 interface for this reason, and might be the cause
of what you observe.

A passive mic attenuator could reduce the signal from a line level source to
something that would work well with your AP2496 interface. You need about 15
dB attenuation, if there is a problem of this kind. Shure, Audio Technica,
and Rapco have appropriate attenuators in their product catalogs.

So would buying a microphone be a good idea(not certain, but I heard
the shure 57 was good to start with), and hopefully I can then get the
distortion sounding on the recording as it should? - or is it another
general problem with my setup?

There is also a chance that your speakers further modify the distorted
sounds in ways that you prefer. Then, recording the acoustical output of the
speakers with a mic is the way to go.

To record with a microphone, you will need both a microphone and a
microphone preamp, as the Audiophile 2496 lacks mic level inputs. Shure
SM57s aren't my favorite mic, for this application I would pick a MXL603 or
perhaps a Behringer ECM8000. An example of a low cost mic preamp could be a
Rolls MP13 or one of the Behringer small mixers which start out around $40.

Also, when I do record something, I always get my vu (i think its
called, the sound input level meter) db level in the green range
(occasionally it might dip into yellow, but only just). However,
whenever I play it back it is ever so quite. Much much quiter then
any music I may have on my system. Is there something I am doing
wrong? All levels are set to normal in the recording software, i.e.
its mixer is not quitening it (unless it does it by default).

If you're recording with anything like decent audio recording software, you
should be able to adjust the level of what you record, after you record it.
If you don't have software that can do this, you can download Audacity,
which is freeware.

Also, a little on the pc, p3.0 528 RAM is that good enough to record
to a descent quality (i.e. low latency etc, 41 up to 91k 24bit), or
would 1 gig of RAM be ideal.

For what you're doing, your PC is likely to already be overkill. 256 megs of
RAM and 1 GHz would be more than enough. There are probably people posting
here who did lots of work with 64 megs and 100 MHz, or less.

Also generally speaking, how would a pc setup compare to proper
recording deck/machine?

A PC setup is a proper recording deck/machine if it has a good audio
interface, appropriate software and a knowlegeable experienced operator..
While your AP2496 has some weaknesses vis-a-vis standard audio production
levels, it can be made to work quite well. Lots of people report excellent
results with it.