Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default Advice on buying my next piece of gear

On Mar 22, 5:31 pm, "jeffontheleft" wrote:
So here's the deal. Over the past two years I've been collecting gear
on a very tight budget so I have mostly low-end stuff. I'm very eager
to get serious with my ambitions of running my own studio and start
buying professional-grade gear. Unfortunately, my budget hasn't
changed much, so I have to choose everything very wisely and not over-
spend or buy things that aren't adding much range to my setup. Here's
my short gear list (I'm poor, don't laugh!):

-Cubase SX 3.0
-Mix Wizard 16:2
-MOTU 896HD
-Hamptone HJFP2, RNP
-RNC, RNLA, Valley People Dynamite
-AKG 414 XLS-II, (2) Rode NT5s, AT 4050, Neumann BCM 104 --(I want to
sell this, if anyone's interested email me), Modded Oktava 219, 57's,
58's and SM52

(then some instruments and a few cheap FX pieces not worth mentioning)

Right now I'm just recording a handful of rock bands but I'd like to
have the flexibility to do other genres and one day mastering. So I
have about $3000 to spend, here's what I'm thinking I should buy, tell
me what you think:

1 more AKG 414 so that I can use them as a stereo pair for drum
overheads or room mics and not have to be totally reliant on the NT5s.
A Langevin DVC so I can have a good vocal pre as well as some good
compressors along with it
A TLM-103 or U87 if I can afford it to finally have a sure-fire vocal
condenser mic.

I'm thinking maybe just get another 4050 and use those as overheads/
field mics, keep the AKG 414 for vocals and save some dough for a nice
intro ribbon mic or something. I don't know, I'm sure there are
endless possibilities and I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

what are you monitoring with? i'd say spend that money on some good
monitors and room treatments. The RNP and 414 you have will get you a
long way.

Nate