Bill Pallies

Default speaker protection

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message
ink.net...

A speaker is designed to play a sine wave, not a square wave or a

saturated
signal.

A sine wave? That's it? Rarely do I listen to music that is composed of sine
waves. A sine wave is one of the dullest sounds out there. The human voice,
a flute, a saxophone, a guitar, drums (gasp!)... these produce anything but
a sine wave. And my speakers handle them just fine.

THE ONLY REASON CLIPPING MAY DAMAGE A SPEAKER IS IF THAT SPEAKER WAS BEING
DRIVEN CLOSE TO IT'S LIMITS *BEFORE* THE CLIPPING STARTED, AND IS THUS BEING
DRIVING BEYOND IT'S LIMITS (+ ~30% ) WHEN CLIPPING BEGINS.

This has been explained to you in every imaginable way I can think of. A
400w capable sub CANNOT be damaged by a 50w capable amp *if* these numbers
are accurate. At full clipping that 50w amp would not exceed 400w and thus
the sub would play it's square wave just fine.

The shape of the wave is not the issue, it's the power delivery that wave is
capable of. Since a square wave can deliver more power to the voice coil,
than it is possible to blow a sub by clipping already-near-its-limits
output. And this would be called "overpowering."

-Bill