Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Crosstalk in snake cable that include speaker cables and mic cables

Mike Rivers wrote:

geoff wrote:
My multimeter collection, HF responses starting to drop at:
Fluke 114Â*Â*Â* 4.5kHz
Fluke 17B+Â*Â*Â* 2.5kHz
Dick Smith (OEM ?)Â*Â*Â* 10kHz

That's pretty good. My Fluke 77 goes up to about 2 kHz if I recall
correctly. I'm not near it at the moment.

** To me it seems strange that instruments intended for engineers and service techs to use for all kinds of electronic work have such poor AC response..

Most analogue multimeters cover at least the audio band and beyond, so if you can hear a sound coming from a loudspeaker, the meter will measure the signal
level for you. It can substitute for a VU meter if need be and test line voltage PA installations.

In the 1950s and 60s, the standard bench instrument for professional techs and engineers was a VTVM like this one:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_se...st_wv_98c.html

Typical specs we

11Mohms input impedance on DC volts.

1.5 V to 1500V AC or DC in 7 ranges.

3 to 5 MHz bandwidth on AC readings.

100 ohms to 1000 Mohms FSD in 7 ranges.

10 ohms at centre on lowest ohms range with 100mA of SC current.

(enough to make a loud click in a speaker and/or see which way the cone moves).

BTW:

Ever try to test the resistance of a speaker in a noisy room with a DMM ??

..... Phil