George Gleason

Default Mixing console

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
news:znr1058963767k@trad...

In article

writes:

The soundcraft has better headroom and a sweeter eq

The Mackie has adequate headroom if you understand gain staging.
Anything can run out of headroom if you're careless, and why use a
console that lets you get careless about something this important?

The Mackie has more agressive EQ. Which one is better depends on why
you use EQ. I was listening over the shoulder of a guy at an AES show
twisting the EQ knobs of a Mackie 8-bus and was really pleased with
how he could warp and twist the drum and bass sounds on the demo
recording. I didn't think he ended up with anything that sounded more
like drums or bass, but he was being creative. I can't warp things
that strangely with my Soundcraft 600 console, but then I can make
finer adjustments when things are almost right without EQ.

I like the way the faders feel on Soundcraft consoles better than
Mackie, but I don't know about the particular Souncraft that you're
looking at. For someone who moves faders when mixing, this is
important. For someone who sets levels and funnels everything into the
stereo master, it's less important.

My thoughts on mackie mixers are well documented in google
I went out of my way to say nothing pro or con directed at the mackie in my
post
the soundcraft is the better product IMO
George