Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Question re proper sealing of woofers with enclosure

geoff wrote:
In the past I have 'run in' a bass driver with noticeable change
(measured), and without hearing them at all during the process to
confuse matters.

Both a LF resonance and a level changed over 2 days at moderate power4
level - F down by a few Hz and and level up by a fraction of a dB. Same
position signal distance and everything else I could think of. Just
tilted back up from the sound-deadening wadding that it had been
inclined onto in order to cut down the noise in the basement.

This was elasticised paper surround.May not be the case for all drivers
or surround materials.

I think this makes more of a difference in the spider than in the surround.
If the spider is already broken-in, it should make much less difference.

I also think it makes more of a difference with paper surrounds than with
foam surrounds.

But yes, the difference is sometimes not subtle.