Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Question re proper sealing of woofers with enclosure

On 9/9/2019 6:07 AM, Trevor wrote:
On 9/09/2019 8:33 am, geoff wrote:
On 9/09/2019 4:31 am, Rick Ruskin wrote:
The low end of my JBL 4315's sounds sounds less tight and defined
after having the 12" drivers refoamed.Â* I'm wondering if this could be
do to them not being sealed tightly enough with the enclosures.Â* Is
there any way to test for a proper seal without having to dismount
them and instal yet a another set of new seals?

---
https://www.avg.com

The 4315 is a ported cabinet, so a slight lack of seal (unlikely
anyway as the seal is, unless broken, a continuous ring) shouldn't
have a profound effect. More likely the new foams just a little stiff
and should loosen up with a bit of use to run them in.

Or more likely the new foams are a little stiffer than the old ones and
won't change at all. "running in" is more about you simply getting used
to the sound than any real and permanent measureable change in actual
performance.

I've had my mid-range 8" JBL speakers re-foamed by JBL 3 times over the
last 40 years. Each time there were audible and measurable changes in
their frequency spectrum when first re-installed. They stabilized after
a few days of use, and after a slight adjustment to the cross-over
levels returned to a good state.

These *are* physical objects, which means that in the real world, no two
will be identical.

--
best regards,

Neil