Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Reasonably priced FM Tuner

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 12:16:52 AM UTC-4, Dave wrote:

Thanks for revisiting your ideas. I thought about a Dynaco FM-3, like it=

s simplicity, but it looks as though the price point for a good one goes be=
yond my requirement for reasonable cost. Given that most seem to need cap =
changes and alignment, the cost would quickly go well above reasonable. Tub=
e (Hollow State Device) sourcing is also a bit problematic these days; a fu=
ll new set could easily double the cost of the tuner. Tuner Information Ce=
nter did not have kind words about the sound of an FM-3. I personally have=
not heard one in well over 40 years.
=20
My issue with older tuners, those without PLL MPX decoders, is that they =

had 'birdies' from SCA signals. In my area, WCRB has (had?) SCA info that =
forced me to put a PLL MPX decoder in a Quad FM3 tuner to eliminate the whi=
stles. No solid state tuners with PLL MPX decoders have had this problem i=
n my experience.

Where are you? I run through about two FM3s/year on average (one so far thi=
s year, three last year, none the year before). Other than the EMM801, none=
of the tubes are the least bit exotic. My most recent unit was missing th=
e OEM (Telefunken) 12AX7s as well as their shields, but my junk box furnish=
ed the shields, and my NOS tube stash furnished me a couple of RCA 12AX7s -=
that, a cleaning and an alignment and all is well. Total cost (excepting c=
leaners and the tubes & shields) $58.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA=20