Harry Lavo

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I've got a Sony CDP-XA7ES CD player. From what I've read it was an
extremeley good player in it's day, and still considered one of the
best cd players today. The problem with mine is that the laser has
gone, and Sony don't carry it anymore. I have found a site
www.partstore.com who carry it. It's about $160USD or so, but they
won't ship outside the US. Have found the same optical pick up on some
asian sites, but when I contacted them, they don't have it. My
questions are is the player worth repairing?

**ABSOLUTELY! Sony have turned out some shockers over the years, but the
XA7ES is not one of them. A superb sounding and beautifully constructed CD
player.

I'll second Trevor on this one. I'm holding onto a Phillips 880 and looking
for a laser replacement for the same reason. The Sony is a superbly built
unit. Back in the day, I did a head-to-head of theat unit, the Phillips,
and the top of the line Denon (can't remember the model number). The
Phillips and the Sony ran very close together...the Sony was probably more
neutral and had the signature Sony house sound. I preferred the Phillips
slightly and so bought it, but could have been happy with the Sony. Nothing
being sold below $2000 today is built like these units were. Replace the
optical pickup and it'll be good for another 15 years.