Scott Dorsey

Default Shielded Audio Cable

Luther wrote:
I need the name and manufacturer of some really good shielded audio cable.
I was at USITT this last year in Minneapolis and I was at a booth there that
had some really good cable and I can't think of what the name was. The
reason that I need this is because the theater that I work at has a weird
conflict with audio lines and electrical lines. Sometimes we run into no
problems, and sometimes we run into nothing but problems, so I figured that
I would check around and see if I could find any cable that had shielding
that would protect against an electrical signal.

Well, all line and mike level cables should be shielded.

Most of the problems you describe turn out to be due either to ground loops
or RF trash on the electrical lines (from cheap SCR dimmers and the like).

But manufacturers of good shielded cable include Canare, Gepco, Belden,
Mogami, and Gotham. There are plenty of others, though.