Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Measuring noise along a signal path

On 19/03/2019 8:19 PM, geoff wrote:
On 19/03/2019 7:46 PM, PStamler wrote:
On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 6:50:44 PM UTC-5, Tobiah wrote:
I ordered a Jethead Phantom to see whether it would improve
the S/N used with my NT1-A's, and an M-Audio Fast Track
Ultra audio interface.Â* I also have a 'dummy mic' as we
recently discussed, using the 150 Ohm resister soldered into
a male XLR connecter trick.

Given the dummy mic, the microphones, the interface, and
the Jethead which will arrive on Wednesday, how would you
go about deciding whether the Jethead is going to be able
to deliver clean enough gain that it surpasses and improves
my existing preamps.Â*Â* I know I could just listen, but it's
tough to pick out the noise in my residential bedroom from
machine noise.

How would we do this in science class?

You'll probably also need an audio oscillator. It can be a cheap one
-- even the Shure Oscillator in a plug will work (do they still make
that?)

Smartphone app maybe !

I have Signal Suite Pro on an iPod Touch (g4) - maybe one and only Apple
product.Â* But many reasonably sophisticated sig-gen apps available now
for free on Android.

geoff

Ooops - for 'maybe' read 'my'.

geoff